Registration Account wrote:
> As you know clamAV provides NO realtime virus detection
> and from time to time we all need to execute a clamscan
> - Well I just performed a clamscan and found 4 folder
> which a year or so stored and catagorised emails and
> all 4 folders were infected with
> Phishing.Heuristics.emal.spoofedDomain virus's. As
> almost all emails are held in mbox format I would
> suggest everyone to run a scan periodically. Remember
> clamAV provides NO repeat NO real time protection, even
> if you copy them to a MS Windows or NSF drive or open
> an infected file or execute an infected .bin file
>
> Scott

Oh Boy!

This kind of thing (a mail worm NOT a virus to be pedantic) usually only
showed up in spam mail (which should be picked up by your spam filter)
and is only potentially dangerous if you actually open and run the
relevant scripts. As most of these expect windows to be at the receiving
end they almost certainly will not work if anyone is daft enough to open
them and would be only dangerous if they did work if accessed as root.
(If you get caught in this particular situation dont look for sympathy
from this direction).

Windows based on access scanners should usually pick this up so those
really at threat should be covered anyway.

Scanning really offers protection against the things that are known, and
is a waste of space for identifying the things that we dont. On access
server side scanning can seriously impact overall mail server
performance with possibly few identifiable benefits (spam filtering on
the other hand is a different story). Apparently you can use CLamAV with
procmail (which would would give you on access scanning which you cliam
it does not do). (see http://wiki.clamav.net/Main/ClamAndProcmail).

Managed client side tools should be much more effective. Good security
practice is probably as effective as a good scanning software.

There are security threats in the Linux world but viruses are not and
are unlikely to be significant issue.

In other word DONT PANIC (and remember the towel) :-) .

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup