On 08/07/2007 05:49 PM, Hans van der Merwe wrote:
> Again - the SETUP will involve removing windows and installing a flavour
> of linux to curb the effects of viruses.
And it does help, not in the future but in the present.
> The FALL will be when they
> click yes to something they dont understand (not Linux fault, yes I
> know) and then having their docs trashed - leaving them exactly where
> they were with windows.
And if they have learned nothing else than not to click on everything
next time, then at least they have learned that.  BUT, anything that
would wipe out their docs would only wipe out their docs.  Getting
running again would be a short exercise not a reinstall.  Anyone that
inept is still in much better shape with Linux than Windows.
> They and the media will not be interested in
> how it happened, just that it happened.

If they do not care how it happened, then they would be beyond any
reasonable arguments because they would definitely be fringe, not
mainstream.
> Yes this is not in any way the fault of Linux or Linux programmers or
> distros etc, BUT telling users to install Linux because it will help for
> viruses is IMHO irresponsible.

I respect your right to your opinion, but I know my daughters laptop
works much more reliably in Linux than in Windows in her college
setting, with friends using her computer.  It is her opinion Linux DOES
much more than help, it works when her dual boot Windows gets stuffed
with viruses, worms, etc.

--
Joe Morris