On Tuesday 07 August 2007, Kai Ponte wrote:
> On Tue, August 7, 2007 1:28 am, Registration Account wrote:
> > As you know clamAV provides NO realtime virus detection
> > and from time to time we all need to execute a clamscan
> > - Well I just performed a clamscan and found 4 folder
> > which a year or so stored and catagorised emails and
> > all 4 folders were infected with
> > Phishing.Heuristics.emal.spoofedDomain virus's. As
> > almost all emails are held in mbox format I would
> > suggest everyone to run a scan periodically. Remember
> > clamAV provides NO repeat NO real time protection, even
> > if you copy them to a MS Windows or NSF drive or open
> > an infected file or execute an infected .bin file
>
> Heh.
>
> Run!
>
> Hide!
>
> Cover your childrens' eyes!
>
> Seriously, I just had this discussion a few days ago with my parental
> unit.
>
> She was all freaked out about some phishing emails she got and thought
> for sure she was infected. (My son had launched AMOR and had dropped
> her wireless mouse receiver behind the desk. As a result, her mouse
> movements were jerky and there was this smiling face on the screen.
> She was sure that was due to the "viruses" she'd obtained.)
>
> Keep in mind - unless you're stupid enough to run as root all the
> time, the worst that can happen is someone may get into your local
> files or fire off an email.

and thus install a keylogger or similar application. Once you realise
there's a logger process running on your system, you also realise you
don't know which of your local or remote backus can be trusted any more,
in case they were accessed while your system was compromised. You may
need to bring some off-site backups from physical media, which, for many
people, are not at all up to date now that FTP based backup solutions
with large quatas are so readily available.

> ...you are fine.

Not necessarily. I believe there were macro viruses for MS Excell that
tried to go unnoticed as long as possible, corrupting very small amounts
of data in Excell sheets every now and then. The result was that months'
or even a full year's worth of files and backups could go getting
corrupted before it was noticed. Could this happen on OOo? I don't know.

Anyway, backups are of little use if the data in them cannot be trusted,
even if they were not altered in any way. All you need is to know that
they could have been corrupted at will. Also, I'd call firing off god
knows what kinds of email from my IP or from my account very undesirable.

Regards,
Tero Pesonen