If anybody can offer any suggestions on getting this thing to work, I'd
appreciate it. Please mention any other libraries you think I might
need, I believe I have all the necessary ones but it can't hurt to
check.

The zen players use mtp media transport protocol not usb mass storage. I never had luck using it in any distro. as far as I can tell the only software that works is what comes with the player for windows. I have had good luck with ipods, any rca lyra, archos is what I am using today.