I was running OO 2.0 (the default version) on my SUSE 10.0 system. In
tracking down a problem with Master Documents, I upgraded to 2.3. Works
nicely, but now when I click on an attachment in the Thunderbird mail
program (say, .doc or .xls) the default is to Save, and selecting "Open
with" produces the error:

"filename.xls could not be opened, because the associated helper
application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences."

I can't find a place to change it, and besides .doc and .xls files (and
I assume .ppt) automatically open just fine from the desktop. Just not
from within Thunderbird.

Curiously, I seem to recall both .doc files and .xls files opening
correctly before the upgrade, but only .doc files are mentioned in the
Download Actions preference dialog. Fiddling there seems like a kludge,
anyway, since it was working before without that.

Any suggestions as to how to address the above?

TIA, ds

--
Dennis E. Slice
Department of Anthropology