On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 20:11 +0200, Stan Goodman wrote:
> ** Reply to message from Carl Hartung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Tue, 16 Oct
> 2007 13:40:21 -0400
>
> > On Tue October 16 2007 01:19:10 pm Stan Goodman wrote:
> > > As I wrote in another message, I must not be handling "locate" correctly.
> > > <locate mplayer>got me only an oldish outgoing email message.
> >
> > Addendum:
> >
> > You did mention 'bouncing icon' desktop feedback. Are you invoking 'locate'
> > from a proper shell? Pulling up an 'oldish outgoing email' sounds very much
> > like 'Beagle' <shiver> behavior. Did the email contain the text
> > string "locate mplayer" or anything close to it?
>
> I did it in the Search field of the lizard menu, so now that I think of it, I
> believe it's Beagle. Yes, of course, the email did mention mplayer.
>
> I just tried <locate mplayer> in a terminal, and got back that the command is
> unrecognized. In fact even <locate> alone is unrecognized.

You need to go to your software management in YAST and keyword search
for "locate"  It is part of the findutils-locate package.  Once
installed, the locate command will work beautifully.

But before you run locate, run "updatedb" which will take about 5
minutes usually.  Then locate will work as desired.

--
---Bryen---