On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 18:18 +0200, Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Bryen wrote:
> >> What bothers me is their lack of response. I went to:
> >>
> >> http://shop.novell.com/question
> >>
> >> and provided all my order details and never received any answer. I know
> >> they're using "Digital River" as their e-commerce outsource provider but
> >> from
> >> a customer's perspective they are still Novell for me.
> >>
> >> I really don't care if I need to wait a couple of more weeks. I just would
> >> like to have an idea WHEN will they start shipping.  Any update on this
> >> Andreas Jaeger?  :)

> >> I'm in Puerto Rico (part of the US).
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Jorge
> >
> > Aside from 30 day installation support, what do we get from a purchased
> > DVD versus the downloaded version?
> >
> Well, we get an ever getting thinner documentation in printed form that
> once was very good in regard to volume and contents and now is nothing
> that you really need to have.
>
> One less reason to go for Boxes.
>
> I somehow can hardly understand that the reasons to buy are minimised,
> more and more.
>
> While I understand that enterprise customer are those that have "real"
> money, how do they think that Linux was (and is) taken into the enterprise?
>
> Kind regards
> Eberhard

That was my primary reason for buying 9.3.  A nice big thick-wad book
that I was able to use as a reference.   When 10.0 came out, I promptly
ordered again, and was disappointed to see a thin book.  Since then, I
have downloaded instead.

I just thought maybe there might be some additional proprietary software
or features in the purchased DVD version to compensate for the decrease
in documentation.   OH well...

--
---Bryen---