Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> AFAIK, they are not removed. At least, they are not removed if they were
>>> modified.
>>>
>> And how do I make sure this does happen?
>
> What do you want to do, remove them? That has to be done manually.
>
> For instance, if you install mysql, create some databases, then remove
> mysql, the databases remain. You might want to reinstall them later. In

This is somewhat different - the database files are actually user data,
not config files. They should never ever be erased automatically. And
also it is not possible, since you can put your user data anywhere,
package management does not know about them.

But as for e.g. /etc/my.cnf (most probably modified), it would be very
handy if we had a possibility to remove them automatically (like
aptitude purge <package> or apt-get --purge remove <package> does). Does
rpm support something like this?

Jano