[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hello All,
I am going to upgrade my home network server from a Pentium 4 S478 1.7 Mhz to a S775 MB with 1066 FSB. I don't want to spend a lot of money. Is a Pentium D okay as a CPU for this or should I go with the next one up? Celeron not good either?

I'm assuming that you're not going to use this as a "compute
server" ... something that you submit computationally intensive
tasks to from other machines.

On that assumption, to maximize your benefit/cost ratio, you
want to use as cheap a CPU as you can find (because even slow
CPU's are thousands of times faster than the fastest disk
drives), and lots of memory.  Further improvement comes from
having lots of small (in today's world) disk drives instead
of one huge disk ... many disks = more track-seeks that can
be performed simultaneously.

Don't buy into the propaganda that CPU speed is the primary
determinant of system performance...and that a "server"
needs the fastest thing out there.  File serving is NOT a
CPU intensive task, and printing is a task which CAN BE
CPU intensive but is also feeding to a tediously slow
physical device....and no CPU in the world is going to
speed up your printer.

--
Keith Boykin
You are what you think - so always think positively!