> > Some time ago, I remember seeing a discussion about a way to speed up
> > the launch of OpenOffice.org modules. Now I can't find any reference to
> > it. I can find references to 'quick launch' but that refers to putting
> > icons on the quicklaunch panel. Does anyone else remember such a
> > discussion or am I just going nuts in my old age? Thanks for any assistance.
> >

> IIRC, there's a separate RPM that has to be installed for the
> Quickstarter.  On my system, the first time starting OpenOffice after a
> reboot takes less than 3 seconds, after that, less than 2s.

You can also go to Tools > Options > OpenOffice.org > Memory, and
reduce the settings there... for example:
  Undo - 30
  Use for OpenOffice.org - 128MB
  Memory per object - 20.0
  Number of objects - 20
Adapt to your own needs...
If you don't need to use the wizards, you can also disable Java.

Small changes... but they can make a significant difference.

If you poke around on the various forums and blog entries on OOo you
will likely find some discussion about this, and the various
combinations of settings that people find work well.  Example:
http://www.ghacks.net/2007/08/18/speed-up-open-office/

C.