Jose wrote:
> Hi
>
> the device map is as follow:
>
> Suse102:~ # cat /boot/grub/device.map
> (hd2)   /dev/hde
> (hd1)   /dev/sda
> (hd0)   /dev/hda
>
> I think there is something weird going on with my posting, since
> yesterday I can't post to the list, but I am able to retrieve emails
> from the server, I am not sure why you would have got 4 copies, sorry
> about that, was not intended, at least from my side, I have sent a
> message to the list owner, I would see if they can correct whatever is
> wrong with my account
>
> thanks
>
> Jose
>

> G T Smith wrote:

> <snip>

> Hmmm Interesting ...
>

> What was requested was the contents of...
>
> /boot/grub/device.map
>
> Then people can read your menu.lst, and check whether the ordering issue
> above is relevant...
>
> BTW Is there any reason why I got 4 copies of this...
>
> <snip>

I think what we have here is a mismatch between how grub is reading the
partition order and the partition order in the partition table, you
might have better luck trying (hd0,2) rather than (hd0,3)...

You could verify this by going to the grub command line and entering.

find /boot/vmlinuz

which will give you a list of partitions holding the kernel ... if
(hd0,2) is there that is the problem...

Further info can be found at...

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/grub/grub.htm

- --