Kai Ponte wrote:
On Saturday 03 November 2007 20:36, James Knott wrote:
Basil Chupin wrote:
James Knott wrote:
Janus wrote:
On Saturday 03 November 2007 23:54, James Knott wrote:
Plug it in.  Then open Yast Partitioner.  You should see the drive.
Format it and specify the desired mount point.
I go YaST -> System -> Partitioner
- and I only see /dev/hda - no external drive.
I just turned on my external 160 GB drive and it shows up in Partitioner
as /dev/sdc.  Do you see anything new, when you plug in that drive?
James, the OP did state that he is using SuSE 10.0, and you are using
10.3. The point here is, does 10.0 have the same ability to recognise
USB drives? If I recall correctly, weren't there some hassles in this
area with SuSE prior to (?)10.2?
I don't recall and I don't have any 10.0 systems running.

I didn't catch that.

The OP has bought himself an external HD (to be able to do a backup of his 10.0 system before upgrading to 10.3) and is wondering how to go about formatting the HD. James suggested using Yast Partitioner but when OP does this the USB drive doesn't appear in the Partitioner.

Yes, 10.0 was buggy as all getup when it came to USB external drives and USB thumb drives. I don't know if patches ever made it into that distro version, but I recall very serious issues with speed in transferring files when I went from 9.3 to 10.0. IIRC, the whole underbelly of USB was rewritten from the 9.x days and 10.0 "missed the boat." I remember distinctly feeling very pleased with 10.1 and 10.2 in terms of performance with USB drives.
Ah, it appears that my memory is still reasonably functional :-) .

(I suspect that someone like Carlos E will be able to dredge up from his extensive archives the appropriate messages which provided the "fix" which the OP could apply to overcome his problem.)

Cheers.

--
Past experience, if not forgotten, is a guide for the future.