Haven't followed this thread very closely, so pardon me if there are factors
which render my suggestion invalid;

On Sun, 04 Nov, 2007 at 11:20:52 +0100, Janus wrote:
> On Sunday 04 November 2007 05:29, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
> > The OP has bought himself an external HD (to be able to do a backup of
> > his 10.0 system before upgrading to 10.3) and is wondering how to go
> > about formatting the HD. James suggested using Yast Partitioner but when
> > OP does this the USB drive doesn't appear in the Partitioner.
>
> Exactly! :-)

Does anything dictate that you *must* use the old system to do the backup?

Otherwise you *could* just boot the 10.3 media to a rescue system, and use
that to mkfs, mount, and backup to the USBdisk.

Worth a shot, no?

I mean, the alternative;

> I'll keep my fingers crossed. As an alternative I will have to fire up my old
> Celeron 400 Mhz with 128 MB ram (which I guess will not run recent versions
> of SuSE), and use it as a backup media (scp over ethernet).

*is* going to take some time...

/jon

--
YMMV