On Sunday 04 November 2007 12:30, Jon Clausen wrote:

> Does anything dictate that you *must* use the old system to do the backup?
> Otherwise you *could* just boot the 10.3 media to a rescue system, and use
> that to mkfs, mount, and backup to the USBdisk.

It worked smooth: I Booted from a SuSE 10.3 Live CD and plugged in the USB
drive. It was automatically recognized and mounted - and I could start
copying files to it (it was already formated as FAT32). The drive is also
visible in YaST partitioner tool, so now I can format the drive to ext3 and
make the backup.

Thanks for the suggestion. Simple. Obvious. Thanks! :-)

Janus