Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an odd problem that I don't understand and wonder if anyone can
> shed some light on it.
>
> Here's the setup:
>
> - 2 systems: one runs SuSE Linux 10.0 and the other openSUSE 10.3
> - Four static IP addresses assigned by my ISP (using ADSL)
> - An IOGear Ethernet switch connecting the DSL modem to everything else
> - A LinkSys WRT54G wireless router / access point w/ 4 hard-wired ports
> - The 10.0 box has a single ethernet port connected to the IOGear switch
> - The 10.3 box has two ethernet ports, one connected to the IOGear
> switch (and hence directly to the Internet) and the other connected by
> cable to the LinkSys router
> - The router, the 10.0 box and port of the 10.3 box wired directly to
> the IOGear switch each have statically configured IP addresses
> - Everything accessing the Internet via the LinkSys router / access
> point (including a couple of Macs, my TiVO and one of the ports on the
> 10.3 box) use DHCP.
>

> The problem (as far as I know, the _only_ problem with the whole setup)
> is that I cannot connect from the Internet to the 10.3 box using it's
> global, routable IP address, though there's no problem doing the same
> with the 10.0 box.
>
> Furthermore, computers connected wirelessly to the LinkSys access point
> _can_ access the 10.3 box _using the global, routable IP address_.
>

> Can anyone tell me what might be wrong with the configuration and how I
> might fix it so that the 10.3 box can be reached from the global
> Internet?
>

> Thanks.
>
> Randall Schulz

Ok text pictures....

         Machine A 10.3 <----->IOGear<-----> RestofWorld
                ^                ^
                |                |
                V                V
         Wireless AP Router  Machine B 10.0

                ^

I assume A is routing? I would have a look at the routing table on A. My
 guess is that A's information on where to route its traffic is
ambiguous especially if you have two addresses assigned on the same IP
subnet on both ports....

IMHO If you have all 4 address on the same subnet the best solution
probably is to bridge A (it will appear to only have one address).

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup