On Monday 05 November 2007 06:36, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> On Monday 05 November 2007 00:48, G T Smith wrote:
> > Randall R Schulz wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have an odd problem that I don't understand and wonder if
>>> anyone can shed some light on it.
>>>
>>> Here's the setup:

>>> The problem (as far as I know, the _only_ problem with the whole
>>> setup) is that I cannot connect from the Internet to the 10.3 box
>>> using it's global, routable IP address, though there's no problem
>>> doing the same with the 10.0 box.
>>>
>>> Furthermore, computers connected wirelessly to the LinkSys access
>>> point _can_ access the 10.3 box _using the global, routable IP
>>> address_.
>>>

>>> Can anyone tell me what might be wrong with the configuration and
>>> how I might fix it so that the 10.3 box can be reached from the
>>> global Internet?

Here's something else that may be relevant:

% netstat -A inet -a |egrep LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:mysql                 *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:sunrpc                *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost:ipp           *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost:smtp          *:*                     LISTEN

% netstat -A inet6 -a |egrep LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost:8005          *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:8009                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:http-alt              *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:www-http              *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:7634                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost:ipp           *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost:smtp          *:*                     LISTEN

The server I most need to contact is Tomcat running on port 8080
("http-alt").

Why is it listening only on inet6 addresses?

Randall Schulz