On Friday 09 November 2007 01:12, G T Smith wrote:
> Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > It's only 86 lines, but it confuses me, too, at this point.
> >
> > I've attached the output of "smartctl -a /dev/sda". If you or
> > anybody can tell me something meaningful, feel free.
> >

> > Randall Schulz
>
> What I am seeing here would not worry me greatly, there are a couple
> of things that puzzle me though... But I would check whether WD have
> any technical documents on this unit.

OK. I'll see what I can find.

By the way, this is the drive:
<http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=189>

> I assume you have smartd setup to do regular tests on the drive and
> forward mail as well as log results... I have noticed that you will
> get transient reports from time to time, but most are indicators are
> notifying of temp changes and the like.

Yes. There seems to be some other snafu that's causing the mail delivery
to sometimes fail (according to other diagnostics
in /var/log/messages), but something's getting through, 'cause I get
alerts in KDE. In fact, that's what first brought it to my attention.
Since then, I've been monitoring the related entries
in /var/log/messages.

> Robert Smits information rather confirms what I have suspected for
> some time about how one should assess a S.M.A.R.T report,
> unfortunately Robert did not give a link for the paper he referred
> to. I would be interested to have a look at it ...

Yes, Robert, if you're still reading this thread, if you could point us
to that paper, we'd appreciate it.

Randall Schulz