On Wednesday 14 Nov 2007, G T Smith wrote:

> You are talking about the 512Mb and 2G/4G/(8G in US/Asia only :-() flash
> drive sub micro notebook are you not?
>
> Considering that the machine comes with Xandros preinstalled and has a
> rather special hardware setup; which I would assume that this copy of
> Xandros is optimised for, and ASUS are committed to to support; I would
> wonder why anyone would want to this, except out of a sense of adventure.
>
> I suspect that installing openSuSE might not be exactly wise or easy
> (for a start one would probably have to build and debug a special
> version of the Kernel). Installing KDE4 in its current reported status
> would be seriously adventurous on this hardware... (though there is a
> good argument for a special handheld and sub-micro version of SuSE).
>
> I would intrigued to hear the results of this experiment if anyone has
> attempted it...

I have one, but not (yet) attempted to install OpenSUSE on it. There are
people who've successfully installed Ubuntu - reportedly the only major
gripes are with the Wireless driver and some power management issues. The
wifi chip used is a new Atheros variant that is only supported with the
custom Xandros on the Eee.  It works with other distros using ndiswrapper,
though.

The default package is nicely integrated, and everything works. Though some of
the software is a bit dated - OpenOffice 2.0.4, and a KDE 3.4.2 base. It
picked up my CUPS shared printer, and I can SSH into my main box. The media
player (SMPlayer) seems to play most things I've thrown at it. It boots in
about 30 seconds. It's pretty neat and very usable, despite the small storage
capacity and 800x480 screen.

Jason