Well, Jason, perhaps they have changed but it doesn't look like it.

I read the reason they had to ship their own jvm was because real java
cannot be used to do their instant/constant compilation -- that's what
I've read.  I've also read there is a JSR to add that capability to
real Java.

In my experience, and admittedly I do a lot of Swing development,
Eclipse is not usable on Linux (unless the one jvm instance per open
JFrame was a bug they've since fixed).  I've seen plugins that have
specific warnings they only work on Windows.  To me, that voids the
whole concept of Java.

Chuck