Chuck Davis wrote:
Well, Jason, perhaps they have changed but it doesn't look like it.

I read the reason they had to ship their own jvm was because real java
cannot be used to do their instant/constant compilation -- that's what
I've read.  I've also read there is a JSR to add that capability to
real Java.

In my experience, and admittedly I do a lot of Swing development,
Eclipse is not usable on Linux (unless the one jvm instance per open
JFrame was a bug they've since fixed).  I've seen plugins that have
specific warnings they only work on Windows.  To me, that voids the
whole concept of Java.

Chuck

Well, whatever you have read is wrong. Eclipse does *NOT* provide it's own JVM.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Eclipse_FAQs#Getting_Started

--Jason