On Saturday 17 November 2007 15:41, Bryen wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-11-17 at 15:30 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
>
> > I've known users (dare I say, "lusers") to override rm with a
> > script that moves the target files to a trashcan folder.
>
> Hmm... That would be an interesting project to try to create.  What a
> way for me to flex my current knowledge and expand on it.  :-)

It's no big deal. Write an "rm" replacement script that moves files to a
specified trash folder rather than simply unlink them. The only thing
you really have to worry about is name clashes. When that happens, add
a suffix (making sure that the suffix is unique, of course). With a bit
more work, you could additionally mimic the file system hierarchy
within the trash folder, but that doesn't get you out of handling
multiple deletes of the same name (since files often get recreated
after they're deleted).

> > I don't suppose it will be long now before we have a Linux
> > counterpart to the latest Mac OS's "Time Machine" functionality.
>
> There's a python script that I downloaded a few weeks ago but haven't
> really tried it yet.  It is supposed to mimic TimeMachine.  It's
> called Flyback.  You can find it at http://code.google.com/p/flyback/

I doubt tremendously (i.e., I flatly don't believe) that Python can be
used to implement Time Machine. Doing that will require some low-level
hooks.

> Maybe I better look at it again now before I screw anything else
> up!  :-)

It could be both useful and educational, so yes, go for it.

> --
> ---Bryen---

Randall Schulz