Richard Creighton wrote:

> It's about time that the updater program and more generally Yast
> installer provide the OPTION to backup any files it deletes to either
> the trashcan or to a special directory for the purpose of providing the
> ability to recover from the increasing number of bad updates, kernels
> and other software that is currently just deleting what is often
> perfectly good (read operating) software and replacing it with a 'fix'
> that too often really 'fixes' things, to the point of being unable to
> run.
>
> Kernel updates or other critical software like Yast modules, often well
> intentioned updates will have unintended and sometimes fatal
> consequences and it leaves you with no alternatives but to reinstall
> from who knows where.
Richard,

I cannot agree more.

Imho your suggestion to have a backup way of installing updates, is one
step.
The other essential thing I see necessary is quality control BEFORE an
update is released to the public.

Otoh, let's not forget that this is free software, also free as in beer.

I would be much more angry if this happened to me on a SLES based
enterprise machine.

I also remember that Ubuntu LTS (long term suppport) once got an update
that rendered thousands of X configurations worldwide to be unuseable
and recently, Microsoft's WGA servers failed, as well.

So it is really bad and there is no real excuse, but the competition is
not necessairily better.

Kind regards
Eberhard