Chris Worley wrote:
I've been using Unix since the 80's, and prefer X's
left-button-drag-cut (or double or triple click) and
middle-button-paste to WinDoh's, but, these days,

Same here ;-)

> nothing seems to work.

I mostly use KDE, Konsole, Evolution, Firefox, and
> OpenOffice, and mostly just want to copy and paste
> text between these apps.

Copy/paste within the same Konsole session seems to
> work properly, but, between apps is hit-and-miss.
> I.e. I'll copy some text from an OpenOffice editor
> (using left and middle mouse clicks), and paste into
a Konsole... and it takes a couple of tries before
> it pastes. Aggravating.

I'm noticing a similar problem myself.

In years past, this worked seamlessly... but my
> last few revs of OpenSuSE (the only place where
> I use a GUI) seem to have lost the ability to
> cut and paste w/o multiple tries.

And the multiple-clicks...needed...BUT NOT ALWAYS
is annoying... if KDE just happens to be in the
middle of changing the desktop jpg, sometimes the
reason I'm not seeing the paste is because the
CPU and X-server are bogged down...and then
suddenly I get the paste mouse-click executed
2 to 4 times...

Annoying as hell.

I've never seen this sort of thing with any sort
thing (dropping mouse clicks...or any user input,
for that matter) in any Unix or Linux interface
before...

I tried cutting a graphical section out of Acrobat.. and it said it
had put it to the clipboard, but I could not paste into any app,
including "gimp".

I've been resorting to
right click -> copy
right click -> paste  :-(

Cut&paste within an app is not that helpful, we
> need to cut and paste between apps.  Does X need
> to "go back to the drawing board"?

Well, I think you correctly identified the true
location of the problem.... the X11 server.