Hans Witvliet wrote:
>> The only computer I have with RAID also has error correcting memory, as
>> many servers use.  Also, back in the days when I was a computer tech,
>> servicing mini-computers, hard drive failures were far more frequent
>> than memory.
>>

> mem, mobo's and cpu's are most likely to suffer from ESD (and heath)
> The effects will show up sometimes at late as in several years.
> I found out that most shops haven;t got a faintest clue what ESD is.
>
> Drives will suffer not only from ESD and heath but also from wear,
> G-forces.
>
> So if you obtain your system from proper qualified supplier, that takes
> precautions and test the componentes before using them, or take those
> precautions yourself. chances that you suffer from mem problems is often
> smaller than HDD problems.
>
> Note, I assume you treat your components well, playing with
> overclocking, wrong ras/cas timing, overheated north-bridge can also
> cause "funny effects".
>
> Output of the powersupply has to meet more stricter demands, as mem and
> cpu are using still lower voltages these days. A spike of 0.1 volt did
> do anything some years ago, but can corrupt the content of your DDR
> today.
>
> hw

Back in the days when I supported mini-computers, everything was TTL
logic, with ECL used in some critical areas.  The CPU was two 15 inch
square boards!  A 200 MB disk pack drive was the size of a washing
machine and required 3 phase power.  Some of the systems I worked on
were water cooled.  Back in those days, I worked down to the microcode
level, that is the instruction set within the CPU, that enabled it to
run the instruction set the applications would use.