Hans Witvliet wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 12:59 -0500, James Knott wrote:
>
>> The Data General Eclipse line had a feature called "Writable Control
>> Store", which could be used to add custom instructions to the CPU.  The
>> VAX 11/780 had it's microcode loaded from floppy at boot, but I don't
>> recall if it was changeable in the same manner as the Eclipse WCS.
>>

> Floppy?
> It was a real huge 8" flop ... (still have them here)
>
> hw

Yep.  There was an LSI-11 (microprocessor version of PDP-11) hidden in
the cabinet, equipped with one or two 8", hard sectored drives.  It was
also used to connect the console terminal.  As I recall, the command to
use it as the VAX console was "STP" and Ctl-Z(?) to return to the LSI-11
console.  Back in it's day, the VAX was considered a "super mini", a
real hot system.  But it only had the CPU power of a 386!

BTW, that's where I first came across the "Adventure" game.  :-)