Bob S wrote:
> Hello SuSE people,
>
> I plan to buy an external USB drive for my backups. I would really like to do
> a commmplete and full backup.
>
> Can I make a "clone" of my SUSE 10.3 ? I mean bootable and everything. If
> not,
> can I copy everything and then boot it from the DVD? Again, if not, and I
> just want a backup of everything, must I partition the new drive exactly as
> the original drive and rsync the partitions individually?
>
> I am thinking hard drive failure (could take it out of the enclosure and
> replace the failed internal disk with it) as well as file corruption backups.
> Used to use Kdar for backups but it isn't supported for 10.3 Was always
> worried about a reinstall after a hard drive failure with all of the extra
> stuff I have installed.
>
> Bob S

Just a suggestion.

I've been playing around with Mondo Rescue. [
http://www.mondorescue.org/ ] It's not exactly what your thinking of
doing. It makes a CD/DVD set that will boot and reinstall your system
EXACTLY as it was when the set was made. Then you could use a smaller
backup set to replace any changes.

It takes three "programs", Mindi, Mindi Busybox, and Mondo. Get the
rpm's from Mondo Rescue to install. One portion is missing from the SuSE
repos. You start it from CLI then get this rather DOS(y) looking GUI.
Not exactly beautiful, but functional.

Turn off everything that you don't need running. Start Mondo Archive. Be
prepared to watch a good movie or two while it works. If you have any
doubts about your hardware [ CD/DVD writer or media ] you might want to
use the verify option. BUT, that means it will take about twice as long.
If your absolutely sure of your stuff skip that part. Don't run off to
far because it gets rather testy if you don't change the media in a
timely manner. DON'T TAKE OUT THE MEDIA WHEN IT POPS THE DRAWER BETWEEN
WRITE AND VERIFY!!!!!!!!!!!! You've been warned. Mondo is kind of like
an avalanche. Once it's set in motion it's rather difficult to get back
to the top of the mountain. For a program that you will probably use
once, or maybe once every year or two, how fancy does it have to be.

I'm still a long ways from being a Mondo Expert, but from what I've seen
so far it looks VERY promising. I'm sort of stuck on excluding my
Windows drive [ Yes, it will back it up right along with your Linux
drive  - about four DVD's on my system ] from the backup. I know theres
something very simple I'm missing.