On 2007/12/11 21:05 (GMT+0800) Zhang Weiwu apparently typed:

> Dear all, this is OT but I am not sure where to ask about it:

> Usually when we work on web applications and offer user some
> spreadsheets for downloading, my primary choice is CSV format. This is
> because both Excel and OpenOffice users can open it. Now we need to
> generate spreadsheet from the web application that has merged cells in it.

> This time CSV format doesn't work, it cannot represent merged cells.

> I prefer not to create Excel formats because I don't wish to encourage
> use of Excel format. I cannot use ODF because no one can open it (people
> use things like Excel 2003). PDF also doesn't work because we need to
> allow users to do some calculation based on table sell data. Is there
> another format I can offer?

Before Excel even existed there was a virtually universal format used by the
app that made PC spreadsheets popular - .wk1 from Lotus 1-2-3. Excel & OO
should be able open it. If they can't, they're broken.
--
"   Our Constitution was made only for a moral
and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409