On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 22:19 +0800, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:

> Would it be possible to go ahead and use the best choice, odf, and
> either allow them to use an add on for their MS Office, or co-install
> OpenOffice.  It is still a free solution, and is better in the long
> run.  Maybe they will learn OpenOffice is quite a viable choice and they
> will dump the MS tax.
>
> --
> Joe Morris
> Registered Linux user 231871 running openSUSE 10.3 x86_64

On that note, I'd like to offer up my little bit of amusing anecdote.
About a year or so ago, I set up a friend's computer, installed
everything from scratch.  (ugh yes, Windows included.)   And I installed
OpenOffice.  Told her she should try using that since she did not have a
copy of MS Office laying around.

A couple of months later, she called me complaining that OpenOffice was
too cumbersome and her daughter was complaining that she didn't
understand it because everything she learned in her elementary school
computer class taught MS Word.    We had a little bit of a heated
discussion, and I told her that a) she can't afford MS Office anyway and
b) she shouldn't be teaching her daughter to be MS centric and to
broaden their horizons as one of these days you're going to have to
start using OpenOffice or some other non-MS product.

Last weekend, I had the pleasure of learning that her employer now
requires everyone to use OpenOffice and not MS Word.   Smug
satisfaction?  Yes indeed.

--
---Bryen---