On 12/11/2007 09:05 PM, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Dear all, this is OT but I am not sure where to ask about it:
>
> Usually when we work on web applications and offer user some
> spreadsheets for downloading, my primary choice is CSV format. This is
> because both Excel and OpenOffice users can open it. Now we need to
> generate spreadsheet from the web application that has merged cells in it.
>
> This time CSV format doesn't work, it cannot represent merged cells.
>
> I prefer not to create Excel formats because I don't wish to encourage
> use of Excel format. I cannot use ODF because no one can open it (people
> use things like Excel 2003). PDF also doesn't work because we need to
> allow users to do some calculation based on table sell data. Is there
> another format I can offer?

Would it be possible to go ahead and use the best choice, odf, and
either allow them to use an add on for their MS Office, or co-install
OpenOffice.  It is still a free solution, and is better in the long
run.  Maybe they will learn OpenOffice is quite a viable choice and they
will dump the MS tax.

--
Joe Morris