James D. Parra wrote:
> [...]

<snip>

> Just wanted add my own experience with OO 2.x. Although I was able to get
> most of my users to use it, anyone who used the Writer and Impress (which
> doesn't) for anything with special page details and imbedded graphics were
> sorely disappointed. Even after saving the document or presentation in any
> MS format, all the formatting was lost or scrambled when opened in MS Word
> and/or PowerPoint.
>
> In order for OO to be useable for everyone and, hopefully, displace the MS
> equivalents, OO will need to save in a way that anyone who uses MS will not
> have any difficulty opening and viewing the content. For better or worse, MS
> is the standard that the corporate user knows and uses as the measuring
> stick. Once OO can accomplish that, all my users will switch to it.
>
> Just my observation. Not trying to start a flame war.

IIRC that this was more than a bit of a problem between different
versions of M$ Office Products, ("if M$ cannot get it right what hope
for oo" could be an argument here, but I think an attempt to create a
market for upgrades was a more likely reason for the issue ) .. I do not
think this is specifically an openOffice problem, but something inherent
in the way M$ work on this.

Is not the Open Document specification business an attempt to get away
from the pure bloody murder of trying to find a lowest common
denominator between different applications (or versions of an
application) so two (or more) people can exchange a usable document?

(And are not M$ are trying very hard to put a very large spanner into
this process because it may give application suites like openOffice a
level playing field to operate on.... )

Not flaming a further observation.. honest guv :-)

> Kind regards,
>
> ~James

- --
telephone.