M Harris wrote:
> I have an HP notebook running the boxed set openSUSE 10.0
>
> I would like to upgrade the kernel *only* (modules, etc) without reinstalling
> openSUSE. Can this be done easily?

YES and NO! Yes, you can upgrade the kernel to a later version. Making
it work with later versions of X, etc. is almost an impossibility. The
reason is udev. The udev scheme has changed a great deal since 10.0 and
many of the core packages like X have moved to requiring the new udev
scheme. Spinning your own udev config is only for the serious dedicated
hacker. I ran into this issue recompiling X, mesa and dri for 10.0 to
get 1680x1050 support for an intel chipset. I could build a custom X
environment that worked, but could not move to a later hand spun kernel
due to the udev requirement.

You may have the heart for it, but I can tell you, you will spend weeks
getting it right.

You could backup and reinstall 10.0 10.1 10.2 and 10.3 five times over
before you were able to hand build a new udev scheme that would work
with later kernels and applications on 10.0.

It is time for you to upgrade ;-(

10.0 was one sweet release. It along with 8.2, 9.0, and 9.3 will be ones
to remember.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC