Anders Johansson wrote:
On Monday 17 December 2007 19:58:18 JP Rosevear wrote:
Beagle already does nice itself and employ strategies for reducing work
when the CPU is not idle.  However I/O is a problem and non-root
processes can't change their own I/O priority iirc.

Actually, they can. "All" they need is CAP_SYS_ADMIN

A bit silly to not allow a process to downgrade its own priority, with nice I

All processes can downgrade their own priority.

Nice with positive (lower priority) values is
available to all processes.  Only negative
(higher priority) values need the root user ID.

can set myself to absolute rock bottom. Even sillier is it to have the capability baked in with some real admin capabilities. It should be more fine grained

But what beagle could do is start as root (or CAP_SYS_ADMIN), run ioprio_set(), then immediately drop root perms.

Anders