On Saturday 22 December 2007 00:10:23 Markus Koßmann wrote:
> Am Freitag, 21. Dezember 2007 schrieb Rodney Baker:
> > Whilst this isn't a showstopper (and I can get around it by disabling the
> > size column in the folder list), I'm wondering if anyone else on the list
> > is running a similar setup and may have noticed this behaviour (perhaps
> > even with a different IMAP server)?
>
> I'am seeing the same problem with my email providers's IMAP server, which
> calls itself " GMX IMAP4 StreamProxy ". So it doesn't seem to be a dovecot
> problem.
> And no, compressing the (sub)folder after moving/deleting emails from that
> folder doesn't change anything, the size remains the same.
>
> KMail version is 1.96 enterprise 0070904.708012 KDE 3.5.8 release 22.3
> openSUSE

With further investigation I have come to the conclusion that, when talking to
an IMAP server (or, at least, a dovecot IMAP server using Maildirs for mail
storage), the folder sizes shown in the folder list have no connection
whatsoever with the amount of data actually stored in the relevant folder.
A quick comparison of the output of du -h and the folder sizes in KMail
confirm that.
du -h
172K ./.APRS-Sig/cur
KMail says 1.6kB
336K ./.Xastir/cur
        KMail says 1.6kB
452K ./.Repeater_Builder/cur
Kmail says 2.2kB
20K ./.Yaesu-FT8900/cur
        Kmail says 1.2kB (with a 22kB email)
1.1M ./.OpenSuse/cur
Kmail says 292.8kB
8.0K ./cur
                This is the Imap inbox - KMail says 916.2kB (with no
mail)
11M ./.Laura/cur
        Kmail says 38kB
812K ./.Comics/cur
        Kmail says 27.4kB
136K ./.Radio_Mods/cur
Kmail says 1.8kB

This is just some of the maildir folders with read mail in them. Since the
same symptoms occur with other IMAP implementations I would agree with
Markus - it does not appear to be a dovecot-specific problem.

Regards,
Rodney.