On Friday 21 December 2007 22:22:37 Will Stephenson wrote:
> On Friday 21 December 2007, Sandy Drobic said:
> > When you delete a mail in your imap account the mail is only marked with
> > the delete flag. Only when you compress the folder (or whatever it is
> > called in KMail) will the marked mails be expunged and removed from
> > storage. It's a feature, not a bug. (^-^)
>
> Correct.  If you have 'automatically compact folders' checked in Configure
> Kmail..->Accounts->Receiving->Modify... (your account) this happens
> periodically.
>
> If this is not enabled, you need to use the Compact Folder action in each
> imap folder's context menu.
>
> Season's greetings from the KDE team!
>
> Will
>

> --
> Desktop Engineer
> KDE Team

OK, I understand that, but when I look into the actual maildir folder (in this
case, ~/Maildir/cur for read inbox items or ~/Maildir/new for unread), the
only emails that exist are those that appear in the Inbox folder in KMail.
Running "Compress Folder" has no effect - all deleted mails have been moved
to the Trash folder and have then been deleted/expunged when the Trash folder
has been emptied.

'Automatically compact folders' is checked in the settings dialog as
instructed above (and has been from day 1).

I have just deleted all items from my inbox, compacted the folder and checked
that there are no files in ~/.Maildir/cur or ~/.Maildir/new and yet it still
reports that the IMAP inbox size is 916.2kB.

The same applies to other folders - it seems that KMail is incrementing the
size each time a new mail is seen but never decrementing the size when a mail
is deleted/expunged or moved to another folder.

Unfortunately Evolution doesn't show folder sizes for comparison and Outlook
only shows the local inbox size, not the IMAP inbox size. BTW, I checked to
see if KMail was looking at a local cached copy of the imap folders and
confirmed that it is not.

Regards,
Rodney.