On Friday 21 December 2007 22:58:16 Rodney Baker wrote:
> On Friday 21 December 2007 22:22:37 Will Stephenson wrote:
> > On Friday 21 December 2007, Sandy Drobic said:
> > > When you delete a mail in your imap account the mail is only marked
> > > with the delete flag. Only when you compress the folder (or whatever it
> > > is called in KMail) will the marked mails be expunged and removed from
> > > storage. It's a feature, not a bug. (^-^)
> >
> > Correct.  If you have 'automatically compact folders' checked in
> > Configure Kmail..->Accounts->Receiving->Modify... (your account) this
> > happens periodically.
> >
> > If this is not enabled, you need to use the Compact Folder action in each
> > imap folder's context menu.
> >
> > Season's greetings from the KDE team!
> >
> > Will
> >

> > --
> > Desktop Engineer
> > KDE Team
>
> OK, I understand that, but when I look into the actual maildir folder (in
> this case, ~/Maildir/cur for read inbox items or ~/Maildir/new for unread),
> the only emails that exist are those that appear in the Inbox folder in
> KMail. Running "Compress Folder" has no effect - all deleted mails have
> been moved to the Trash folder and have then been deleted/expunged when the
> Trash folder has been emptied.
>
> 'Automatically compact folders' is checked in the settings dialog as
> instructed above (and has been from day 1).
>
> I have just deleted all items from my inbox, compacted the folder and
> checked that there are no files in ~/.Maildir/cur or ~/.Maildir/new and yet
> it still reports that the IMAP inbox size is 916.2kB.
>
> The same applies to other folders - it seems that KMail is incrementing the
> size each time a new mail is seen but never decrementing the size when a
> mail is deleted/expunged or moved to another folder.
>
> Unfortunately Evolution doesn't show folder sizes for comparison and
> Outlook only shows the local inbox size, not the IMAP inbox size. BTW, I
> checked to see if KMail was looking at a local cached copy of the imap
> folders and confirmed that it is not.
>

> Regards,
> Rodney.
>
> --
> Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Further to the above, I went to ~/Maildir and ls -lh showed ~/Maildir/cur
using 868k. All other directory entries (ls -lah) showed 4k as I'd expect for
a directory entry on an ext3 filesystem.

cd cur and then ls -lah again showed . using 868k and .. using 4k. I went back
to Maildir, did rm -rf cur and then mkdir cur. ls -lh then showed cur using
4k. Back to KMail (after restarting it) and inbox still shows 916.2kB...