Hi,

Version updates for released products are extremely rare. Essentially, they
only happen when there is a serious bug or security problem, and a backport
of the fix is too complicated

So yes, if you really want updated versions of the software, you need to
either update to the latest suse release, or get the packages from the build
service, as you have found

On Saturday 22 December 2007 12:43:53 Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
> Let us assume, without making an ass out of u and me, that I find the
> repository for Openoffice of:
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/OpenOffice.org:/STABLE/openSUSE_1
>0.2/
>
> Before loading it is as a source I would load it into my browser. Here I
> see there are several sub directories.
> I would need to know where to end i.e. at the parent folder
> ..openSUSE_10.2/, or the ...openSUSE_10.2/repodata/ folder, the
> ...openSUSE_10.2/i586/ folder or in the ...openSUSE_10.2/noarch folder?
> I would assume i586  but what is the difference between that and noarch?
>
> Bear in mind that I want YAST to do all the downloading, extracting and
> correct installing i.e. I am a GUI person and know not the path to true
> light i.e. CLI, yet. But I'll cover that in another email :)

Well, the path should end with the suse release, in this case openSUSE_10.2.
YaST will take care of finding the correct architecture. noarch means that
the packages in there work on all architectures. For example artwork
(background images, icons and such)

But by far the easiest is to use the one-click install, which is available for
10.2 as well. It will do all the work for you. Install

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE%3A/Tools/openSUSE_10.2/noarch/yast2-metapackage-handler-0.5.2-3.1.noarch.rpm

Then, when you search for software at http://software.opensuse.org/search and
you see the "1-click install" button, you can click it and it will install
everything you need for you

Anders

--
Madness takes its toll