On Monday 24 December 2007 04:20:07 Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
[...]
> I have a directory currently that is called Downloads in my Home
> directory. Guess I'll be keeping it :) especially as it gets backed up.
>
> When I install from an ~/downloads/*.rpm, should I rather copy it to
> /tmp and install it into the correct directory from there as doesn't the
> installation of an rpm delete the initial rpm after installing? I'm
> thinking probably not as the rpm would be needed to un-install the
> package, but my knowledge needs assistance. I'm also thinking that the
> rpm might install in the /tmp directory, where in actual fact it should
> be in /usr or /opt/share/?

The rpm will install the software in whatever location is defined in the
install scripts within the rpm package. The rpm is not deleted and it doesn't
matter where it is stored when you run it - you can even run it directly
across a network or the internet via a url, if you have a fast enough
connection (or don't mind waiting a *long* time on dialup <ugh>). rpm
understands locations such as http://<some.remote.url>/package.rpm.

> Tnx Rodney,
>
> You have contributed significantly to my learning today.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Regards,
Rodney.