Anders Johansson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Version updates for released products are extremely rare. Essentially, they
> only happen when there is a serious bug or security problem, and a backport
> of the fix is too complicated
>
> So yes, if you really want updated versions of the software, you need to
> either update to the latest suse release, or get the packages from the build
> service, as you have found

Now THAT ANSWERS my question,  and poses a new one.

If I do decide to download a version update via rpm of software, then I
will have to install it by hand to resolve dependencies and compile, and
or use the 1-Click install mentioned below ?

The trick now is to know what to do when I have downloaded the rpm, and
of course which directory to download it to on my system / i.e. /usr,
/usr/bin, opt/ i.e. where is a logical folder that I can download
software for my system to, besides the classic Linux answer of 'anywhere'?

> On Saturday 22 December 2007 12:43:53 Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
>> ...Before loading it is as a source I would load it into my browser. Here I
>> see there are several sub directories.
>> I would need to know where to end i.e. at the parent folder
>> ..openSUSE_10.2/, or the ...openSUSE_10.2/repodata/ folder, the
>> ...openSUSE_10.2/i586/ folder or in the ...openSUSE_10.2/noarch folder?
>> I would assume i586  but what is the difference between that and noarch?
>>
>> Bear in mind that I want YAST to do all the downloading, extracting and
>> correct installing i.e. I am a GUI person and know not the path to true
>> light i.e. CLI, yet. But I'll cover that in another email :)
>
> Well, the path should end with the suse release, in this case openSUSE_10.2.
> YaST will take care of finding the correct architecture. noarch means that
> the packages in there work on all architectures. For example artwork
> (background images, icons and such)

Thank you for telling me not to worry about the sub-folders.

> But by far the easiest is to use the one-click install, which is available
> for
> 10.2 as well. It will do all the work for you. Install
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE%3A/Tools/openSUSE_10.2/noarch/yast2-metapackage-handler-0.5.2-3.1.noarch.rpm
>
> Then, when you search for software at http://software.opensuse.org/search and
> you see the "1-click install" button, you can click it and it will install
> everything you need for you
>
> Anders

Tnx again Anders

Hylton