Carlos E. R. wrote:

The Thursday 2007-12-20 at 09:22 -1000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Even if one nices and ionices beagle, there still is the matter of swap space getting filled. Usually it is when that happens when ugly thoughts against the developers spring to life. is there a "swapnice" or something for control
of max swap space an app can use?

If an application need memory, there is no memory free, and there is swap, the kernel will give it as much as it wants - unless you limit it with ulimit and friends.

I just checked the man page for ulimit, and did a search
for the string "swap" and it came up empty... so it looks
like ulimit might not help here....although ulimit -v can set
an upper limit on virtual memory, and -d can cap the
size of the process's data segment (although I have no
idea of how that impacts malloc() or other dynamic
memory allocation methods.