On Sunday 23 December 2007 01:26:08 Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Saturday 2007-12-22 at 18:09 +0100, Anders Johansson wrote:
> >> Actually, it helps solve it, sometimes. The application crashes,
> >> probably
> >
> > I wouldn't say "probably". It shouldn't be par for the course for an
> > application to not check return values from memory allocation functions
>
> That's not what I said. Look again:
>
> ] The application crashes, probably
> ] with an error, maybe a core dump or a backtrace, and it can be examined.
>
> There is a comma after the "crashes".
>
> I didn't say that it "probably crashes". I said that it will
> crash, and then probably will produce an error message.
>
> The idea is that an application that has a memory hole and uses a lot of
> memory doesn't crash, but by running with an "ulimit" it will crash when
> it hits the limit, ant then the error, coredump, or backtrace can be
> examined.

Well, the idea might work, but I still say that you're too dogmatic. Even an
application that forgets to free() memory can still test the return code from
malloc() properly. It's not a given that it will crash. It might just exit
normally, without a core being produced

Anders

--
Madness takes its toll