On Sunday 23 December 2007 01:06:05 am Jerry Houston wrote:
> Rajko M. wrote:
> > On Saturday 22 December 2007 05:36:03 pm Steve Reilly wrote:
> >
> >> you need to install both the kernel
> >
> > Do you mean kernel sources, and compile package?
>
> The directions tell you to install (or update) madwifi, then figure out
> the "flavor" of your kernel, and install the module to match it.  Mine's
> "bigsmp," for example.
>
> It didn't work for me, at any rate.  When I was done installing (and
> rebooting), modprobe ath_pci didn't show any results, and I couldn't get
> the card to connect at all.  Since I have the PCMCIA wireless card
> working fine, it doesn't matter much to me, but I'd be interested in
> finding how how it goes for James.
>
> Perhaps there's some non-obvious step that's needed, beyond what the
> opensuse.org web site tells us.

I have some experience with Broadcom, but not at all with Atheros.
The broadcom requires firmware that will be loaded in wireless adapter.
Two years ago there was no way to get that and wireless didn't worked, now
there is and laptop works fine. I'm wondering if that is the same problem
with atheros.

It would be good if James would accept some type of 'blind shots' and report
results. That method gives ideas, helps not to run in circles as many eyes
see more.

--
Regards,
Rajko