On Sun, 2007-12-23 at 10:23 -0500, Mike McMullin wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-23 at 01:48 -0600, Rajko M. wrote:

> > > The directions tell you to install (or update) madwifi, then figure out
> > > the "flavor" of your kernel, and install the module to match it.  Mine's
> > > "bigsmp," for example.
> > >
> > > It didn't work for me, at any rate.  When I was done installing (and
> > > rebooting), modprobe ath_pci didn't show any results, and I couldn't get
> > > the card to connect at all.  Since I have the PCMCIA wireless card
> > > working fine, it doesn't matter much to me, but I'd be interested in
> > > finding how how it goes for James.
> > >
> > > Perhaps there's some non-obvious step that's needed, beyond what the
> > > opensuse.org web site tells us.
> >
> > I have some experience with Broadcom, but not at all with Atheros.
> > The broadcom requires firmware that will be loaded in wireless adapter.
> > Two years ago there was no way to get that and wireless didn't worked, now
> > there is and laptop works fine. I'm wondering if that is the same problem
> > with atheros.
>
>   I have the Atheros chipset (I don't remember which one), on my laptop.
> IIRC I required two .rpm's and to use the atheros drive when setting up
> the wireless networking in YaST.  If his card is like mine, he will not
> need to upload any firmware.
>
> > It would be good if James would accept some type of 'blind shots' and
> > report
> > results. That method gives ideas, helps not to run in circles as many eyes
> > see more.
>
>   It would be good for those of us who have Atheros' cards to post up
> what we did to get our cards working.  Ubuntu 6.10 when I installed it,
> picked up the card and configured it, SuSE10.3 (which is on it now), did
> not have the drivers for it and I had to go get them and go through a
> good bit of trial and error.

  Having finally booted up my laptop, I can actually reply here:
madwifi-0.9.3.2-0.1x86_64.rpm  openSUSE 10.3 Min Repository (OSS)
http://download.opesuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:10.3/standard

and madwifi-kmp-default-0.9.3.2_2.6.22.5_31-0.1x86_64,rpm

  I installed these two packages, though I did download the one for xen
kernels as well.

In YaST Network Devices, Network Card shows up as AMBIT Microsystems
AR2413 802.11bg NIC
the device name is wlan-ath0 and the module used is ath_pci wth no
options.  I don't remember if I actually had to restart the laptop for
it to take effect.  I was trying a few things, and was busy worrying
about a job at the time so, the above is what I actually know.  I hope
that some of this helps.  A quick look at the sourceforge site indicates
a newer version 0.9.3.3 from Oct.17,2007 is out.