On Monday 24 December 2007 17:49:52 Afan Pasalic wrote:
> hi,
> I have 1.6 GB big text file and I have to find if there is a specific
> word in the file.
> Every time I try
> $> grep -i "word" file.txt
> I'll get message: "grep: memory exhausted".
>
> How can I do that?
> Is there any way I can split the file into several files and then do
> search?
>
> thanks for any help.
>
> -afan

Have you tried running Beagle, then using a front end like Kerry? :)

Actually, that's a good point - I'll have to see how large a text file beagle
can index.  Just need to find some large text files to test with.

I'd check if a memory limitation exists:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:->ulimit -all | grep virtual
virtual memory          (kbytes, -v) 4176480

or just ulimit -v, like that output tells me.

Here I've got the full 4Gb to work with on this machine.  If you get some
dubious value I'd look to increase that using the same ulimit command line
tool.

Cheers

Pete