I don't think the line is busy since in windows I have no problem to
connect through this modem.

In kppp, the only issue is to change /dev/modem to /dev/sda1, which is
the USB port on my PC where the modem is connected. However, it seems
to me that I am not able to communicate with my modem.

--
Bogdan Cristea