Yes, you have right, the usb modem is mounted on sdb-sde on my PC.
None of them seems to respond when connecting using minicom. I am not
familiar working with modems, but I expect some welcome message when
the modem is initialized.
  Looking at /var/log/messages when connecting the modem I get the
following lines:

Dec 28 21:32:25 HPAthlon64 kernel: usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 2
Dec 28 21:32:32 HPAthlon64 kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device
using ohci_hcd and address 3
Dec 28 21:32:32 HPAthlon64 kernel: usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen
from 1 choice

It seems to me that the modem is not recognized. However, as in Yast,
hardware information, the modem is correctly detected. Any ideas?
Bogdan

--
Bogdan Cristea