According to one of my books that's specific to SuSE 10.3, I've done all
that's necessary to enable Xgl and Compiz, and the Gnome desktop effects
module confirms that my graphics card is suitable, that 3-D is enabled.

In KDE, I'm able to run the configuration tool, and it appears to be
working.  However, I can't get a Compiz session started.  When I go to
the appropriate place in personal settings to choose a session manager,
only kwin appears, in a combo box that is grayed and disabled.

Is there some extra step that's commonly overlooked, that makes Compiz
show up in the session manager selections?