On Friday 28 December 2007 08:27:25 pm Joe Sloan wrote:
> Chris Arnold wrote:
> >>
> >> You are making the assumption that you do not need kpowersave, and that
> >> is wrong.
> >
> > Umm, i don't want it or need it. I removed it without any problems after
> > saying delete kde.
>
> In other words, what you were trying to say is that you wanted to
> uninstall kde. OK, Note that you *do not* have to reinstall the OS, when
> you decide that you want kde again.

No guys, what he is saying is that he wants an install without a lot of stuff
that he really doesn't need or want, and, if they do get installed that he
wants to uninstall them. He is right. If you will never use the multimedia
stuff why install it. And why should multi-media be a requirement for theOS/
desktop?

Especially poignant, is the example of kpowersave.  If you don't have a laptop
why is it necessary to install it? The dependencies are completely illogical.
Why should all of KDE have a dependency for kpowersave?

I can certainly see an application having a dependency for certain things in
the basic desktop system. I cannot see why the desktop system would have a
dependency on an obscure add-on type of application to function. That is bass
ackwards! Guess I just don't understand. I'm not a software
designer/engineer. Maybe there is some logical reason, somewhere, somehow.

There is a bunch of stuff I would like to get rid of also. Including
kpowersave. When I see the dependency hell to remove something I don't want,
I just sigh, shrug my shoulders, wonder how that could possibly be, and thank
the lord that we now have these huge hard drives that will carry the bloat.

Bob S