On Saturday 29 December 2007 09:33, Bryen wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 12:30 -0500, Mike McMullin wrote:
> >
> >   I am aware of that Anders, but they are not stupid people, and
> > revenue is revenue, even if it's just a license.
>
> No, but they do rely on the stupidity of their userbase.  Their
> revenue is based on telling their users what it is the users want,
> not the other way around, which is how they got to be successful.

You could not be more wrong.

Apple's ability to attract users and create usable and accessible user
interfaces—something they do better than anyone else and have been
doing for over two decades—is _extensive_ user testing. In fact, they
were pioneers in really listening to (or, more precisely, watching)
their users. They never let designers give users hints during their
user testing. They watch and listen (users are instructed to verbalize
their thought processes as they use the software or hardware being
tested) but give no feedback. Then they use those results to improve
and refine their interfaces.

Apple's software is usually less feature-laden and some, especially
highly technical users, tend to find it overly simplified, but one can
definitely make the case that this is a better approach than
Microsoft's "never say no to a feature request" practice.

Randall Schulz