Listmates,

        Critical situation. Server running 100G drive. The drive started to
fail. Plenty of backups available and I was able to recovered all data
to another server. Installed fresh 250G sata drives configured in
hardware raid (sdb and sdc). Used the /swap from the failing drive (sda)
for install purposes because I didn't was to put swap on the raid. Fresh
10.3 install replacing last mandrake server went fine. Server runs fine,
just gives occasional /sda offline errors.

        Problem, the old drive with /swap is sda, the /swap partition is sda5.
The sda drive must be replaced, but how?

        The question: "Can I just install a new sda, and boot and then
partition a new /swap with yast, or, will the boot process freak out
when /swap isn't available and cause the boot to fail?" I'm going to try
it, but if someone else has done this and has advise to help avoid any
"gotchas", I would definitely appreciate a heads up.

        Thanks!

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC