jdd wrote:
David C. Rankin a écrit :
Listmates,

    Critical situation. Server running 100G drive. The drive started to
fail. Plenty of backups available and I was able to recovered all data
to another server. Installed fresh 250G sata drives configured in
hardware raid (sdb and sdc). Used the /swap from the failing drive (sda)
for install purposes because I didn't was to put swap on the raid. Fresh
10.3 install replacing last mandrake server went fine. Server runs fine,
just gives occasional /sda offline errors.

Problem, the old drive with /swap is sda, the /swap partition is sda5.
The sda drive must be replaced, but how?

    The question: "Can I just install a new sda, and boot and then
partition a new /swap with yast, or, will the boot process freak out
when /swap isn't available and cause the boot to fail?" I'm going to try
it, but if someone else has done this and has advise to help avoid any
"gotchas", I would definitely appreciate a heads up.

    Thanks!

if you have enough ram, stop the swap (swapoff), unset the swap file in fstab (write #on beginning of the swap line).

no swap is really needed

that depends on how much memory the system has, and how
much memory is consumed by the kernel and processes.

after that set any swap file on any disk (make swap, swap on) and re-enable the swap file

jdd